Posted: 24 September 2013 | Author: Nicholas Cristofaro | Filed under: Scavenger Hunts | Tags: ArchiNATI, Architecture, Cincinnati, Rookwood, Scavenger Hunt | Leave a comment »
The Scavenger Hunt Rules:
Rule #1: Using the images and clues provided on the Scavenger Hunt Guide, find all eight buildings and take a photo of yourself in front of each one. Not a fan of ‘selfies’? Use a disguise! (maybe some Duckworths and hat?) Be sure to get enough of the building in the image so we can be sure you visited all of them.
Rule # 2. Send all eight images to ArchiNATI12(at)gmail(dot)com BEFORE Thursday October 10th at Noon.
All correct submissions will be entered into a drawing for three beautiful hand crafted tiles donated by Rookwood Pottery.
This building (or complex) which is described as one if the finest examples of French Art Deco architecture in the United States, was used as the model for the Empire State Building in New York City. The historic main lobby and mezzanine areas feature a half acre of rare Brazilian rosewood, extensive use of German silver, and a stylized Egyptian decor reinforced with delicate floral motifs. There are also exquisitely detailed frescoes, ceiling murals, an original Rookwood fountain with a pair of matching seahorses. The Hall of Mirrors banquet room was inspired by the Hall of Mirrors at Palace of Versailles
This building is the former headquarters for The Cincinnati Enquirer. It was designed by the firm of Lockwood Greene and Company and completed in 1926. Built primarily of limestone, and measuring fourteen stories tall, the building was built to house both commercial offices and publishing facilities. Its most distinctive features include first-floor storefronts, a recessed central main entrance, and marble stonework with christmas tree bronze details. The was building also shown as the home of WKRP in the 1978-1982 television series WKRP in Cincinnati and its 1991-1993 sequel The New WKRP in Cincinnati.
This building was designed by noted Cincinnati architect Woodie Garber and was widely recognized for its contemporary design and use of open space. The original 1955 building is dedicated to Hamilton County residents who were killed in World War I, World War II and the Korean War. In 1982, an addition was constructed and the 1955 building was remodeled to create one integrated facility. Several original touches such as the serpentine brick wall surrounding the garden, the Venetian glass tiles on the columns and central service core remain, and can be seen today.
This brick, stone, and terra cotta building, designed by Gustav Brach, had some of the most modern facilities of its day, including flush toilets, central heating, and two swimming pools. It is also known for its many Rookwood Pottery drinking fountains and tile fixtures. Also notable are the stained glass windows of the same period in the main entryway, the largest of which is a memorial mural of “The Landing of William Woodward at Cincinnati in Fall of 1791.” Many noteworthy celebrities including Carmen Electra, Sarah Jessica Parker and Drew and Nick Lachey have spent a good deal of time within the walls of this building.
This is considered by some the most important Modernist building in Cincinnati and is of national and even international significance. Designed in 1945-46 in the New York office of the renowned Modernist architectural firm of Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill (SOM), and built between 1946-48, it was the most progressive American hotel of its day and the first building by SOM to be widely published and receive national attention. It was the first International Style Modern hotel in America. It contained spectacular interiors which featured Modern art and design by major artists, architects and designers.
This building, designed by Harry Hake and listed in the National Register, housed the world`s longest straight switchboard when it opened in 1933. The building was built in such a way as to protect the city’s phone network. With a push of a button heavy steel doors will lock and metal covers will spring up over the windows on the lower floors. On the building’s facade, relief sculptures of telephones are carved into the limestone frieze. Continuing the communication motif, other reliefs depict a runner, telephone inventor Alexander Graham Bell, and nautical flag signals.
This building, constructed in 1911, was the home for a trade school (the Ohio Mechanics Institute). Its large, acoustically exceptional and impressive auditorium was intended for public use. The design is based on the “isacoustic curve” principles that were first proposed by John Scott Russell. The theatre was built with two balconies and a total of 2,211 seats. It was one of the first concert halls in the United States to have no obstructed seats. Today, the institue’s classrooms have been converted into apartments and the auditorium is patiently awaiting restoration.
This building was completed in 1921 and served as the streetcar terminal, stock exchange and an office building. It was designed by Cincinnati firm of Garber & Woodward. The main building includes an “Adamesque barrel-vaulted concourse” and “Rookwood Architectural Faience entry arch” The tiles were manufactured by the local Rookwood Pottery Company. The structure is constructed of reinforced concrete and finished in gray brick, Bedford limestone, and granite. It includes two structures: the 4-story south building, where streetcars entered and left, and a 10-story north building, housing railroad ticket agencies, the stock exchange, offices and shops.
Posted: 18 September 2013 | Author: Nicholas Cristofaro | Filed under: Events, Exhibitions | Tags: ArchiNATI, Architectural Foundation of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Kentucky Struts, Listermann Brewing Company, Place From Space, Walnut Hills | Leave a comment »
Step into the former Church of the Assumption to celebrate submissions to Place from Space: A design competition to turn vacant spaces into community places.
While the musicians from the Kentucky Struts fill the former church with sound you have an exciting opportunity to experience a unique former Catholic Church accompanied by a food truck and beer by Listermann Brewing Company.
The church’s cornerstone was laid in 1884. The archdiocese no longer owns the church; it’s used by an artist whose work will also be on display. The artist has stabilized the Church, and it’s vaulted ceilings and unique eclectic detail will beg for your attention. See what reinhabiting Cincinnati’s great spaces is all about when you celebrate Place from Space.
Round 1 proposals will be exhibited and you have the chance to pick a Finalist for East Walnut Hills, Walnut Hills; East, West or Lower Hill, or Over-the-Rhine. The Grand-Prize-Winner will be built in the spring of 2014.
The former Church of the Assumption is located at 2622 Gilbert Ave, Walnut Hills. There is plenty of on-street parking(free after 6).
Place from Space Celebration and Exhibition | “Celebration in a Historic Church”
2622 Gilbert Ave, 45202
FRIDAY, OCT 4 | 6-10 PM
Event is Free and Open to the Public |
Posted: 12 September 2013 | Author: Nicholas Cristofaro | Filed under: Bicycle Tour, Events, Tours | Tags: ArchiNATI, Art, ArtWorks, Brighton, Camp Washington, Cincinnati, Over-the-Rhine, Queen City Bike, Washington Park | Leave a comment »
Art & Bikes! A great combination!
A call to all art lovers, urban explorers & cyclists! ArchiNATI is hosting an exciting bike ride through the city of Cincinnati that features the public art of four historically and architecturally significant neighborhoods–Brighton, the West-End, Camp Washington, and Over-the-Rhine.
The Queen City Bike tour is a ‘slow and easy’ ride that starts at Washington Park, across from Music Hall. We will be riding out of Over-the-Rhine and making our way toward Camp Washington. On the way, we will briefly stop at works of public art, some old painted advertisements (Ghost Signs!) and some of the newly dried ArtWorks murals, and talk a bit about the amazing history that is a part of each. There will be 12 stops total. All attendees should bring their own bikes, water and small snack. We start the tour at 1 PM and in a couple of hours we will have discovered treasures typically hidden from most spectators eyes.
The Queen City Bike Tour | “Experience the City on a Bicycle”
Meets in front of Music Hall, 1241 Elm Street, 45202
SATURDAY, OCT 5 | 1-3 PM
Event is Free and Open to the Public |
*Editor’s Note: Post by Mercedeh Namei, ArchiNATI project coordinator
Posted: 10 September 2013 | Author: Nicholas Cristofaro | Filed under: Events, Speakers | Tags: ArchiNATI, Betty Ann Smiddy, Carnegie Center, Cincinnati, Tim Jeffries | Leave a comment »
The Carnegie Center of Columbia Tusculum, photo by Tim Jeffries
Some people are really into big numbers and the number 310 billion contains a lot of zeros. And some people may be impressed by that no matter what is being counted. What may turn some heads is that 310 billion would be Andrew Carnegie’s net worth in today’s dollars. The second wealthiest American ever in history which is approximately 3.5 Bill Gates combined. After selling his company for $480 million (1900 dollars) at age 65, Carnegie spent the rest of his life giving a substantial amount of it away. One of the most notable legacies of Carnegie’s philanthropy were the libraries that he enabled to be constructed though grants. All in all, 1,687 libraries were constructed. Cincinnati was the recipient of 9 of those libraries. 7 of the original 9 are still public libraries in the city. ArchiNATI is very happy to have teamed up with the Carnegie Center of Columbia Tusculum to present a preview of new book by author Betty Ann Smiddy with photos by Tim Jeffries that puts a spotlight on these very special buildings.
From Betty Ann Smiddy:
“Do you know that Cincinnati had 9 libraries funded by the Andrew
Carnegie Foundation? Of the 9, 7 are still public libraries. One of
the buildings, the Carnegie Center, is hosting a presentation about
Andrew Carnegie and the Cincinnati Public Libraries on October 9,
6:00 P.M. Learn about the ins and outs of these forgotten jewels that
are part of the the Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County.”
About the Author: Betty Ann Smiddy has received outstanding achievement awards in local history from the Ohio Historical Society and the Hamilton County Recorder’s Office. Betty Ann is a Cincinnati Enquirer Woman of the Year and was given a key to the city of Cincinnati for her volunteer activities. She has written two books for Arcadia Publishing along with one on the history of College Hill.
More Photos of Cincinnati’s Carnegie Libraries by Tim Jeffries:
Carnegie History in a Carnegie Space | “View Pages from the Past in a New Book”
A preview of a book in progress by Betty Ann Smiddy and Tim Jeffries on the history and architecture of the Carnegie Libraries in Cincinnati and across the US.
The Carnegie Center,3738 Eastern Avenue, 45226
WEDNESDAY, OCT 9TH | 6-8:00 PM
Event is Free and Open to the Public | Register Below or at CarnegieHistory.eventbrite.com
Posted: 10 July 2012 | Author: bcooper | Filed under: Uncategorized | Tags: AIA Cincinnati, Bike Shelter Design Competition, Cincinnati, Design Competition, Queen City Bike, Saris | Leave a comment »
The American Institute of Architects Cincinnati and Saris are teaming up to host a bicycle shelter design competition.
From AIA Cincinnati President Chris Patek:
Tired of reviewing submittals and producing construction documents? Looking for an excuse to just design something?
Enter the BIKE SHELTER DESIGN COMPETITION
Short and sweet…
Submission Deadline: July 27, 2012
Exhibition/Awards: August 6, 2012
For more details check out the call for entries: BSDC_Call for Entries
Queen City Bike